Friday, December 19, 2008

Going to the Movies

Going to the movies, while being on the dole and with the luxury of time, is an obvious pastime time that one can enjoy. Of course while we might have the luxury of time, we don’t always have the luxury of cash to go with it (yes, unemployed). NYC has a veritable plethora of movie theaters; however they seem to charge $12.50 a show nowadays. My motto is that there has to be a more cost effective way. Some of my previous wives have chastised me for being cheap – I prefer to think of it as frugal. And it turned out now that was good training.

So with that in mind what angles can we bring to going to the movies? Frequent movie watcher cards are one way to go. Yep, they exist. While Nixta and James had to fork out their readies when we saw the earth nearly creamed yesterday I used one of my reward movie passes. FOC, gratis, nothing better. It makes the popcorn taste so good when you don’t pay for the movie. I like AMC theaters and use AMC Movie Watcher but Regal have their Regal Crown Club and even the more boutique Clearview Cinemas has Clear Advantage.

But yes, you need to pay for tickets to have them give you free ones. There is a way for the well prepared to do that too without having to pay the full price. Many of the cinema chains will sell movie passes in advance at significant discounts. My personal favorite is the AMC Silver Experience, which costs $6.50. What a deal. Sure you can’t use it for a movie in the first 2 weeks of its release, but I can be patient for a 46% saving! Ironically I ordered my Silver Experience tickets through Working Advantage, a corporate sponsored discount program for employees…….

No comments:

Post a Comment